1) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
2) Junot Diaz – the author of the short story collection Drown, and his fiction appeared in the New Yorker, the Paris Review, and The Best American Short Stories. He was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and raised in New Jersey, he now lives in New York City and is a professor at MIT.
3) Drown, How To Date A Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie (Short Story)
4) The novel is about the life of Oscar. A Dominican kid who has trouble with love.
Throughout his whole life (which it isn’t that long of a life if you can tell by the title). He deals with depression and thoughts of suicide. The thoughts and attempts of suicide aren’t what kill him. Love does. His love for a women name Ybon. She has a boyfriend becomes jealous and this gets Oscar killed.
5) Love, identity, sad, embarrassment, jealousy, depression, realization, poverty, pain, maturity, life, reemergence
6) The main theme or message of the book is love and the problem there is of finding it. Also cultural identity, politics, and poverty are all important themes.
7) Oscar is a kid that goes from being a “ladies man” to a fat virgin. He undergoes many changes in his life and deals with depression.
8) Spoiler Alert: Kills Oscar.
9) “It’s never the changes we want that change everything.”
10) I heard that this was a great book so I decided to use it for this assignment.